today’s tutorial is in preparation for Sister’s third birthday party this coming weekend.
the party is loosely a “sesame street” theme with colors leaning more toward the girly spectrum instead of the traditional rainbow scheme.
for the favor bags, i whipped up these Big Bird/Cookie Monster shaped crayons.
so easy and so fun to color with!
Sesame Street DIY Crayon Favors—
1. crayons (i used about 9 regular sized crayons to fill two molds)
2. a metal can from canned veggies, or something similar–wrapper removed
3. a large pot of boiling water
4. plastic candy molds (could fit any theme!) Sesame Street themed molds found HERE
5. a really THICK OVEN MITT (this is crucial to the success of this project)
6. a wooden dowel rod to stir
*i sorted my crayons into like colors
*peeled all the papers off and broke them into small pieces. then put them into the metal can. i think small batches work better than large ones. i used only 9 crayons per batch and it filled 2 molds.
*i placed the metal can into boiling water and held it with an oven mitt. i periodically would swish the can around so that all of the crayons were being exposed to the heat evenly. this took about 2-3 minutes to melt.
*placing the mold on a cookie sheet, i then, carefully poured the melted crayons into the shapes and allowed to dry a few minutes. once they are slightly hardened, i finished the cooling process in the freezer. i found these molds, HERE.
*when cooled, they popped right out and are really cute and fun to give away as birthday favors! tomorrow, i’ll be showing you the favor bags tutorial.
inspiration for this project came from: Homemade By Jill