DIY furniture paint refurbish tutorial.

you might remember, when i mentioned that i scored some amazing antique furniture while visiting my family in Indiana. well, today, you get to see the amazing transformation of my $25 tv stand/buffet/hutch thingy.

tvbeforeafter

thanks to my sister, Emily, and mom for mostly doing all of the work on this refurbish. i was busy unpacking and corralling kids while they painted away.

Ok, you can do this too to any piece of solid wood furniture.  Here’s how:

tvstand

1.  Take off hardware and clean well with soap and water.  Sand  with medium grit sandpaper.

2.  Paint with a good angled brush.  I used a $5.00 flat paint that I got in the “clearance/returned” paint section at Lowes.  (seriously best thing ever!).  Allow to dry.

3.  Sand the corners and edges well (so that the wood is showing) and anywhere else an antiqued/old piece of furniture might have been worn or dinged.

4.  Apply a wood stain to the entire surface using a small brush.  Go in small sections alternating between applying and rubbing off.

5.  Rub off stain with a soft old T-shirt going in a rounded, circular motion.  You should be seeing the stain stay and show especially where you sanded the corners and edges.

6.  Allow to dry and then stage and enjoy!

We did this whole project in one afternoon.  It really was easy and love how a little bit of paint and stain turned this tired old stand into a cherished centerpiece we will be enjoying for years to come.

DSC_0915 copy

DSC_0920 copy

oh one more thing….the wall color is silver sage from Restoration Hardware.  I LOVE it and got it for super cheap at the Restoration Hardware outlet store.

*UPDATE:  many of you asked for the exact color of the tv stand/buffet.

The color is Behr 730C-3 Castle Path in Flat finish. I probably wouldn’t have picked flat if I wasn’t using the Oops paint, as it is a tad harder to keep clean, but for what I’m using this particular piece for, it isn’t getting dirty too much.

Primitive and Proper

HouseofHepworths
shabby creek cottage

Comments

1. Oh my goodness this is GORGEOUS. You make me really want to do this….

2. Love the color! Great job.

3. Oooh… I love the color! Do you think your mom and sister could come over? ;-) -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

4. Its beautiful and so is your new home!

5. So beautiful!

6. I love it!!! So beautiful.

7. Oh that turned out absolutely beautiful!!! :):)

8. Gorgeous! What kind and color paint did you use?

9. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL says:

I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE YOUR SIDE TABLE! it turned out beautiful, very unique. please let me know if this would be ok!

10. It is amazing how great the piece is after receiving a paint update. It had great bones, but most people wouldn’t be able envision it as you did. Great job!

11. Amy Maxwell says:

Will you share what the paint color is please?

12. Love it. I love everything about it. A few questions please:
    (1) What is the color? I know you said you got it off the Ooops shelf, but did they have the color name on the container? I too am a big fan of the Ooops paints. Also, what is the finish–flat/satin/semi-gloss?
    (2) So you didn’t prime at all? Some of Home Depot’s paints say on the container that it is a primer&paint in one. I believe their little tiny sample paints are the primer/paint combo. What brand of paint was it and also was it the kind w/primer already mixed in.
    (3) So it is durable without a clear topcoat? BEAUTIFUL result and it looks like you were able to save few steps which we would all love!

• HI, thanks so much for your interest in my furniture refurbish!

It was a self-priming Behr Premium Plus interior paint with Low Odor/Low VOC and in the redish orange can. We did sand a little bit, but nothing extensive.

I left it unfinished as far as a coating, but am going to try out Hemp oil, as I’ve heard it is good for this sort of project. It will chip/scratch a little as is, but that kind of adds to the antique feel.

Hope that helps!

13. P.S. — Also, I don’t know if you have ever tried the rub-on poly but I like it. It has less of a chance of getting gloppy or dripping than the spray or the brush on. You just rub it on with a soft rag and you don’t see it at all. It is a satin finish so it’s not glossy or shiny. I’ve had great results with it and you can buy it at places like Lowe’s. Thanks for your reply!

14. Yummy colour and great post.

I’m fanatic about upcycling furniture in this way, in my spare time. This colour reminds me of one I’ve used from the AUTENTICO range of products, which is an original Chalk paint not needing any sanding of surfaces before use. Two coats of the paint and seal the surface with wax, buff to the required shine, and it’s done! No toxic smells, no waiting hours for it to dry between coats either just use a hair-drier to help it dry evenly. The name of the colour is Bright Turquoise.

That piece of furniture is stunning and you have maximised it’s potential.

15. Amanda Kraemer says:

What type of wood stain did you use?

• I just used a liquid wood stain in a medium dark stain. If you want specifics let me know, but any dark(ish) stain will give you a similar look.

16. What a transformation! It looks amazing a recently transformed a blanket box in white but love the colour of this. Thanks for sharing.

17. Very nice! I have several tables that I’ve been wanting to refinish for a long time… they are currently all natural wood color w/ clear stain, and I’d like to paint them antique white. Will try this technique! Thanks for sharing.

18. Darci Laws says:

Hi, if you want to make it a bit mire durable and easy to clean you could always put a coat or 2 of water based poly on it. Satin would work over the flare and wouldn’t be shiny.

It looks great!

19. Kristine says:

This is beautiful. I am kind of confused with step number 4 though.
    Do you apply and then rub off so it looks like strips before you rub off all the stain?
    Sorry this is probably a silly question as I might be reading it wrong. I have a bookcase I would like to do this with but before I make the leap I want to make sure I understand all the steps .

20. I have never been interested in this sort of thing but have recently acquired an old large wooden wardrobe that I think would be gorgeous like this. I’ve looked at a million sites but had no clue what they were talking about… Your explanation is perfect!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent along with a great how to!!! Can’t wait to try it :)

21. Nancy peverill says:

Did u you any kind of seal coat over. What kind of stain did you use.