i have a feeling that the advent season and how we “do” it, will look different every year. i love the idea of intentionally planning out and implementing a time of anxious awaiting and focus on how God came down as a frail baby to rescue His beloveds.
advent seems to always start out as something fun i want to plan for our kids and turns into impacting me and my focus more than anything. i’m ok with that. i obviously need it.
i am also well aware of making sure advent doesn’t just become another holiday thing to check off and stress out about. i want to offer loads of grace when it comes to our “plans” and keep the purpose and attitude of the season more important than the actual activities.
this is our plan for this year, and three days in, it is going well and blessing my soul.
FOR THE KIDS (and ahem, the parents too):
1. Truth in the Tinsel—picture frame countdown & ornament crafts (it’s NOT too late to start!)
2. Nightly story from The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name—(chapters 1-25)
FOR THE PARENTS:
1. Ann Voscamp’s advent guide and daily journal–i printed them 4 to a page and cut them in half so it is easy to have/read with my journal.
2. SHE READS TRUTH: advent plan (just me doing this part, but i love how i can quickly start my day with this reading and devotional)
FOR THE FAMILY:
1. 2 family scripture nights a week–light the candle (not a big thing, but more of a time to just connect and review what we’ve been learning)
2. daily fun christmas activities like baking christmas cookies, gingerbread houses, delivering gifts to our neighbors, etc.
now that i look at it all written down, it seems like a lot, but it actually isn’t very time consuming or stressful. the stories and readings are all 15 min. or less and the Truth in the Tinsel crafts are quick and fun. and just to “keep it real,” tonight’s family scripture time consisted of Brother throwing a huge fit and spending time in his bed.
i’d love to add in acts of kindness for each day or a classier countdown calendar, but this is what we can handle this year and we’re hoping that the spirit of it all will soak through more than the flash. please don’t hear me saying you should be doing advent this way—i’m just sharing our plan though God may have a different idea of what he wants us to do this month and i’m open to that too!
sidenote: Sister is asking all kinds of questions about the Lord and jon went through the whole Gospel story (using the Jesus Storybook bible) with her last night before bed. she’s so curious and receptive and it makes my heart to glad to know she’s interested in learning more.
HOW DO YOU CELEBRATE THE ADVENT SEASON?